RELIGIOUS EDUCATION (RE) POSITION OPEN
Date(s) - May 26, 2019 - July 31, 2019
First Parish Northboro
First Parish Northborough is seeking a caring, compassionate individual to serve our Unitarian Universalist church as Religious Education (RE) Coordinator.
Reporting to the RE Committee, the Religious Education Coordinator works closely with the committee and the Minister to connect and engage with members of the congregation. The primary focus for the successful candidate will be to actively reach out to member families and gain an understanding of their needs, hopes, and dreams as they relate to religious education. In this capacity, the Religious Education Coordinator fosters connections between families involved in these programs and church life at First Parish Northborough.
The ideal candidate for this position will demonstrate the following characteristics:
- connects easily and naturally with children and adults
- exudes passion for engaging with children of all ages
- demonstrates natural flexibility and curiosity about others and can listen “between the lines”
- possesses excellent communication skills
The RE curriculum at First Parish Northborough is developed by the RE Committee in collaboration with the Minister, RE Coordinator, and classroom teachers. The coordinator is responsible for overseeing the functioning of the Sunday RE program and will be asked to develop and manage outside programming for families and the community.
- Collaborates with the RE Committee and Minister on development of programming & recruitment of teachers
- Attends designated RE Committee meetings
- In coordination with the RE Committee, orchestrates First Parish traditions including, but not limited to, planning and leading the annual RE Sunday service
- Develops, markets, and facilitates family & community programming outside of Sunday services (including but not limited to, service opportunities, movie nights, game nights)
- Collects regular formal and informal feedback from children & families and reports back to the RE Committee on what is working and what needs adjustment
- Participates in annual RE Committee retreat
Our Sunday RE program consists of three choices for participation: a nursery, Spirit Play, and Spiritual Exploration. The RE Coordinator maintains structure and organization of these classrooms on Sunday, setting behavioral expectations, responding to children’s needs, and supporting teachers.
- Greets parents & children 20 minutes prior to when church begins, and networks at coffee hour with any new parents/guardians
- Registers participants & tracks attendance at Sunday programming and outside events
- Serves as contact person for nursery staff, ensuring there is coverage by two caregivers during all Sunday services
- Orchestrates RE program rituals (developed in coordination with the RE Committee and RE teachers) with all children at the start of the Sunday session, including labyrinth tracing, chalice lighting, & joys & concerns
- Serves as the consistent adult in the Spiritual Exploration classroom, keeping consistency and supporting teachers
Supplies & Equipment:
- There is a limited RE budget for supplies and equipment that gets approved by the congregation at the annual meeting each June. The RE Coordinator will work within this budget to secure supplies and equipment needed to support the RE program. Spending updates are regularly communicated to the RE Committee.
- The RE Coordinator is responsible for organizing and securing all RE materials in the locked RE closet before leaving each Sunday, and at the close of programs that occur outside of the Sunday RE program time.
Marketing & Communication:
As part of their weekly responsibilities during the church year, the RE Coordinator is asked to consistently communicate with the First Parish community about RE programming:
- Distributes yearly RE calendar and other communications to families
- Creates weekly Perspective updates on the RE program
- Collaborates with the RE Committee on the creation of a program flyer for distribution to potential new members
The RE Coordinator, as part of their contracted responsibilities, will attend RE Committee meetings and Governing Board meetings as requested.
The RE Coordinator shall meet with the RE Committee at least once each year for an overall evaluation of job performance and future goal setting. This meeting will occur prior to the annual meeting. In preparation for this meeting, the RE Coordinator will be asked to complete a self-reflection, and the RE Committee will seek direct input from children, families, RE teachers, and the Minister.
Hours & Compensation:
The RE Coordinator position is a full year part time position, with active participation during the church year (September through June), and minimal hours worked during July and August. Salary is calculated at $20/hour for12 hours/week for 52 weeks.
During the church year, the RE Coordinator is expected to work for three hours on Sundays (9:45 AM -12:45 PM), allowing for prep time before classes begin and time to interact with families at coffee hour. The RE Coordinator will be given 5 Sundays off during the church year, dates to be coordinated with the RE Committee. There is flexibility in scheduling the remaining hours.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com using the subject line RE Coordinator Application. First consideration will be given to applications received by June 20, 2019.