This Article from the UU World and the video linked are essential to continued growth and sustainability in our own congregation.
The campaign launched with a Q&A from USA Today, a lengthy review online at The New Yorker, and an interview on NPR’s Morning Edition. One topic from the book that received a lot of attention was the role of white women in systemic racism, and pieces from Elle and Harper’s Bazaar explored that issue in detail. An adapted excerpt that ran in Medium looked at issues of white fragility in the workplace, an op-ed with NBC.com’s Think discussed racial illiteracy in white people, while a Q&A with Slate focused on why progressives find it so hard to confront their own contributions to racism in America. The book has also received extensive coverage in other outlets, including Weekend Edition, Pacific Standard, Sojourners, Washington Post, Vox, the Call Your Girlfriend podcast, MPR News , and The Record on KUOW Seattle. PBS’s Amanpour & Company aired over the weekend and forthcoming interviews with Refinery29’s online program Strong Opinions Loosely Held, The Big Think, and NBC.com are scheduled to air in the next few weeks, with even more to come.
- The Warmth of Other Suns Preview book by Isabel Wilkerson – The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration is a highly acclaimed historical study by Isabel Wilkerson, which received the National Book Award for Nonfiction. Wikipedia Originally published: September 7, 2010 Author: Isabel Wilkerson
- Between the World and Me Author: Ta-Nehisi Coates “A work of rare beauty . . . a love letter written in a moral emergency, one that Coates exposes with the precision of an autopsy and the force of an exorcism.”-Slate
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
- UU WORLD An Article by William G. Sinkford former president and Co-Presidents of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations. The Dream of White Innocence
- 2018 UUA General Assembly Ware Lecture by Brittany Packnett, a leader at the intersection of culture and justice. Cited by President Barack Obama as a leader who’s “voice is going to be making a difference
- #506 Closing Ceremony on Black Lives UU at UUA General Assembly 2016
- MINNS Lectures Spring 2017
ReMastered: The Two Killings of Sam Cooke | Netflix Official Site https://www.netflix.com/title/80191045
While Sam Cooke rose to stardom as a soul singer, his outspoken views on civil rights drew attention that may have contributed to his death at age 33.
… Onstage, Sam Cooke was a dynamic star. … And his tragic death still raises questions decades later.
- UU White Supremacy Teach-In – The VUU #177
- Streamed live on Apr 6, 2017 Kenny Wiley and Christina Rivera join The VUU to talk about the upcoming #UUWhiteSupremacyTeachIn.
- The Global Majorities Collective, a new project of DRUUMM, is an experiment in creating a new UU culture, BY and FOR People of Color. Published on Feb 24, 2017 https://youtu.be/zqptrcBrI_s
- Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ)
- Race Matters https://medium.com/embrace-race
- Documentary: What Happened, Miss Simone? – Official Trailer – Netflix [HD]https://youtu.be/moOQXZxriKY
- “13TH” Great reviNETFLIX documentaryew of Michelle Alexander’s book, “The New Jim Crow.” http://newjimcrow.com/
COMMON READS from the UUA
- The Third Reconstruction : How a Moral Movement Is Overcoming the Politics of Division and Fear Authors: William J. Barber II, Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove(The 2016-17 UUA Common Read) A modern-day civil rights champion tells the stirring story of how he helped start a movement to bridge America’s racial divide)
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption Book by Bryan Stevenson http://bryanstevenson.com/the-book/
- MARCH by John Lewis Preview YouTube video The Daily Show – John Lewis Extended Interview
- The Price of Inequality: How Today’s Divided Society, Endangers Our Future, by Jospeh E. Stiglitz https://www.amazon.com/Price-Inequality-Divided-Society-Endangers/dp/0393345068/ref=sr_1_1?s=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1487629025&sr=8-1&keywords=stiglitz
- ESCALATING INEQUALITY – Delegates at the 2014 General Assembly in Providence, RI, selected “Escalating Inequality” to be the 2014-2018 Congregational Study/Action Issue (CSAI) of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) of Congregations.The Congregational Study/Action Issue is an invitation for congregations and districts to take a topic of concern and engage it, reflect on it, learn about it, respond to it, comment on it take action—each in their own way. http://www.uua.org/economic/escalatinginequality
- The Crisis of the Middle-Class Constitution: Why Economic Inequality Threatens Our Republic by #1 Best Sellerin
- www.Represent.US.org work to pass a state-wide anti-corruption law in 2018. Volunteers needed!
- http://lists.uua.org/mailman/listinfo/EEP-CWG Join the Economic Equity in Politics Certified Working Group
- EPOCA Working together to create resources and opportunities for those who have paid their debt to society
- Stone Soup Worcester www.stonesoupworcester.org/ The public areas are wheelchair accessible.Easily accessible, just off Main Street in Worcester, near bus routes 33, 27, 19, and 7 and free parking …
- Center for Non-Violent Solutions www.nonviolentsolutions.org/
CONSIDERING SANCTUARY Sanctuary Movement http://www.uua.org/immigration/witness/partners/newsanctuary
Sanctuary In a Trump Era NSM 11/21/16 webinar and Video on Sanctuary from the 1980s and present: Theo Rigby www.vimeo.com/189690725 (password: sanctuary)
- See more articles in the current “UU World” for global issues and resources! http://www.uuworld.org
- Worcester Islamic Center www.wicmasjid.org/ Meeting Neighbors January 2016 and welcoming them for “pot-luck” dinner in 2017
- The Sanctuary Movement is a growing movement of faith and immigrant communities doing what Congress and the Administration refuse to do: protect and stand with immigrants facing deportation. Members pledge to protect immigrant families who face workplace discrimination or unjust deportation. Unitarian Universalists are joining the many religious leaders, congregations, and faith-based organizations of all denominations who are part of the Movement. http://www.uua.org/immigration/witness/partners/newsanctuary
- Water Protectors at Standing Rock (UU ministers who participated in the Interfaith Day of Prayer.) http://www.uuworld.org/articles/standing-rock-interfaith-day-prayer
- Cultivating Empathy: The Worth and Dignity of Every Person — Without Exception Author: Nathan Walker Cultivating Empathy: Experiments with Moral Imagination, Nathan C. Walker – 2016 – No preview Throughout the book he endeavors to find connection with skinheads, murderers, homophobic preachers, privileged 1 “percenters”, and Monsanto executives.
- Republic Lost, by Lawrence Lessig https://www.amazon.com/Republic-Lost-Version-Lawrence-Lessig/dp/1455537012/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487629083&sr=8-1&keywords=lawrence+lessig
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life by Bertram Rosenberg Marshall and Marshall Rosenberg Preview book The latest edition of the communication guide that has sold more than 1,000,000 copies An enlightening look at how peaceful communication can create compassionate connections with family, friends, and …Google Books Originally published: 1999 Authors: Bertram Rosenberg Marshall, Marshall Rosenberg